Arlington has a vibrant history! Check out a photo tour of our Historical Markers and Local Landmarks. More coming soon!
You should be able to click or tap for larger photos.
Texas Historical Markers in Arlington
Links to the Historical Marker text are after the photos.
Links to Historical Markers text
- City of Arlington
- Andrew Hayter
- Colonel Neel E. Kearby
- Dalworthington Gardens
- Mount Olive Baptist Church
- The Hill
- Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery
- Bankhead Highway Through Arlington
- The University of Texas at Arlington
- Rehoboth Cemetery
- Booker T. Washington School
- Marrow Bone Spring
- Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack
- First Baptist Church of Arlington
- Arlington Cemetery
- First United Methodist Church of Arlington
- Woods Chapel Baptist Church
- Top O’ Hill Terrace
- Fielder House
Founders Plaza pays tribute to Andrew Hayter, the Father of Arlington, and six of Arlington’s founding families.
The six famililes represented in Founders Plaza are the Rose, Rankin, Cooper, Collins, Ditto, and Rogers families.
Fielder House Museum
Fielder House Museum is home to the Arlington Historical Society. The museum has exhibits about Arlington’s history, and the house itself (built in 1914) is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Arlington’s World War II Memorial
Arlington’s World War II Memorial consists of four plaques and a life-sized bronze statue.
- Colonel Neel E. Kearby’s Texas Historical Marker and life-sized bronze statue.
- A plaque paying tribute to heroes from Arlington who gave the ultimate sacrifice in World War II.
- A plaque explaining how the North Texas Agricultural College (1923-1949), now UTA, got involved with the wartime efforts and their impact.
- A plaque, “In Memoriam – Lest We Forget,” paying tribute to the service and sacrifice of the men and women of Arlington who entered the Armed Forces.
Colonel Neel E. Kearby life-size bronze statue and historical marker
Arlington Post Office / Worthington National Bank
Arlington Post Office / Worthington National Bank is a City of Arlington Landmark. Built in 1939, it served as the City of Arlington Post Office until 1964. The building was restored in 2001 and became a bank.
First United Methodist Church of Arlington
First United Methodist Church of Arlington has its roots as the first church in the original town site of Arlington. Members began meeting in 1877/1878, a short time after Arlington was established in 1876.
In addition to having a Texas Historical Marker, it is also a City of Arlington Local Landmark and a United Methodist Historic Site. There are numerous sidewalk plaques around the site, along with other plaques telling the history.
Historic plaques –
- City of Arlington Local Landmark
- United Methodist Historic Site
- Vandergriff Chapel
- Texas Historical Marker
Church plaques –
- Our Methodist Heritage
- Senior Ministers: Keepers of the Faith 1878-2013
- Gene Patrick
Sidewalk plaques –
- Revival Tabernacle – 1897
- Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South – 1907
- Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South – 1918
- First Methodist Sanctuary – Built 1956
- FUMC Family Life Center – 1996
Division Street sidewalk plaques
Division Street in Arlington has been known by a few others names throughout the years, including: Dixie Overland Highway, Bankhead Highway, Ocean to Ocean Highway, and U.S. Highway 80. Look for these sidewalk plaques near the intersection of Division and Center Streets in Downtown Arlington.
Photos by Jason S. Sullivan